Searights Tollhouse, National Road
The Searights Tollhouse is located about 5 miles (8.0 km) northwest of Uniontown, and stands on the west side of US 40 north of its junction with Dearth Road. It is a brick building whose most prominent feature is a two-story octagonal tower about 20 feet (6.1 m) tall, capped by an octagonal roof and small octagonal cap. A single-story porch extends around about three-quarters of the tower, and there are two single-story single-room wings extending to the north and west. The building was designed so that the tollkeeper had good views of the road in both directions, and was originally fitted with a swinging gate that would block the road.
The Searights Tollhouse of the National Road is a historic toll house on United States Route 40, the former route of the historic National Road, north of Uniontown, Pennsylvania. Built in 1835, it is one of two surviving tollhouses (out of six) built by the state of Pennsylvania to collect tolls along the portion of the road that passed through that state. It has been restored by the state and is now maintained by the local historical society. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1964.